Who never lost, are unprepared
A Coronet to find!
Who never thirsted
Flagons, and Cooling Tamarind!
Who never climbed the weary league-
Can such a foot explore
The purple territories
On Pizarro’s shore?
How many Legions overcome-
The Emperor will say?
How many Colors taken
On Revolution Day?
How many Bullets bearest?
Hast Thou the Royal scar?
Angels! Write “Promoted”
On this Soldier’s brow!
More Poetry from Emily Dickinson:Emily Dickinson Poems based on Topics: Angels, Revolution
- Awake ye muses nine, sing me a strain divine (Emily Dickinson Poems)
- Sic transit gloria mundi (Emily Dickinson Poems)
- I cannot live with You (Emily Dickinson Poems)
- The Wind begun to knead the Grass (Emily Dickinson Poems)
- One Year ago-jots what? (Emily Dickinson Poems)
- Your Riches - taugh (Emily Dickinson Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Angels Poems, Revolution Poems
Based on Keywords: flagons, unprepared, thirsted, bearest, tamarind, coronet, promoted, pizarro