Edgar Albert Guest Poems >>
Bud Discusses Cleanliness
First thing in the morning, last I hear at night,
Get it when I come from school: "My, you look a sight!
Go upstairs this minute, an' roll your sleeves up high
An' give your hands a scrubbing and wipe 'em till they're dry!
Now don't stand there and argue, and never mind your tears!
And this time please remember to wash your neck and ears."
Can't see why ears grow on us, all crinkled like a shell,
With lots of fancy carvings that make a feller yell
Each time his Ma digs in them to get a speck of dirt,
When plain ones would be easy to wash and wouldn't hurt.
And I can't see the reason why every time Ma nears,
She thinks she's got to send me to wash my neck and ears.
I never wash to suit her; don't think I ever will.
If I was white as sister, she'd call me dirty still.
At night I get a scrubbing and go to bed, and then
The first thing in the morning, she makes me wash again.
That strikes me as ridiklus; I've thought of it a heap.
A feller can't get dirty when he is fast asleep.
When I grow up to be a man like Pa, and have a wife
And kids to boss around, you bet they'll have an easy life.
We won't be at them all the time, the way they keep at me,
And kick about a little dirt that no one else can see.
And every night at supper time as soon as he appears,
We will not chase our boy away to wash his neck and ears.
More Poetry from Edgar Albert Guest:
Edgar Albert Guest Poems based on Topics: Man, Life, Time, Night, Education, Sense & Perception, Morning, Reasoning, Sisters
- Baby's Got A Tooth (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- The Change-Worker (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- Runner McGee: (Who Had "Return if Possible" Orders) (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- The Lay For The Troubled Golfer (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- When Father Played Baseball (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- If Only I Were Santa Claus (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: Man Poems, Life Poems, Night Poems, Time Poems, Sense & Perception Poems, Morning Poems, Education Poems, Reasoning Poems, Sisters Poems
Based on Keywords: crinkled, scrubbing, carvings
- The Song Of Hiawatha XII: The Son Of The Evening Star (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Poems)
- Afternoon At A Parsonage (Jean Ingelow Poems)
- Poems - Written On The Deaths Of Three Lovely Children (Jean Ingelow Poems)
- The Passion Of Dido For Aeneas (John Denham Poems)
- The Pastoral, Or Lyric Muse Of Scotland. Canto First (Hector MacNeill Poems)