Courage, dear Moll, and drive away despair.
Mopsa, who in her youth was scarce thought fair,
In spite of age, experience, and decays,
Sets up for charming in her fading days;
Snuffs her dim eyes to give one parting blow,
Have at the heart of every ogling beau!
This goodly goose, all feather’d like a jay,
So gravely vain and so demurely gay,
Last night, to grace the Court, did overload
Her bald buff forehead with a high commode;
Her steps were manag’d with such tender art,
As if each board had been a lover’s heart.
In all her air, in every glance, was seen
A mixture strange, ‘twixt fifty and fifteen.
Crowds of admiring fops about her press;
Hampden himself delivers their address,
Which she, accepting with a nice disdain,
Owns them her subjects and begins to reign.
Fair Queen of Fopland is her royal stile —
Fopland! the greatest part of this great isle!
Nature did ne’er more equally divide
A female heart, ‘twixt piety and pride.
Her watchful maids prevent the peep of day,
And all in order on her toilet lay:
Prayer books and patch box, sermon notes and paint,
At once t’improve the sinner and the saint.
Farewell, friend Moll: expect no more from me;
But if you would a full description see,
You’ll find her somewhere in the litany,
With pride, vainglory, and hypocrisy.
(Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville)
More Poetry from Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville:Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems based on Topics: Love, Art, Age, Friendship, Youth, Pride, Romantic Love, Prayers, Courage, Experience, Hypocrisy
- To an Antiquated Coquette (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- Song Written At Sea, In The First Dutch War (1665), The Night Before An Engagement (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- A True Account of the Birth and Conception of a Late Famous Poem call'd The Female Nine (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- To Mr. Edward Howard on His New Utopia (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- Four Poems on the Countess of Dorchester (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- Satire On A Conceited Playwright (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Love Poems, Night Poems, Nature Poems, Youth Poems, Fairness Poems, Friendship Poems, Art Poems, Prayers Poems, Pride Poems, Age Poems, Courage Poems
Based on Keywords: moll, snuffs, buff, fops, litany, delivers, demurely, hampden, ogling, manag, vainglory