Vain is his affectation respecting the end of his turban;
For in the time of his manhood his condition is changed.
The rank of all will not be on a parity together-
The burden of the ass is but a grain on the elephant’s back.
Whilst some have not a single drop of wine in their cups,
The goblets of others are running over with the purest wine.
May this delightful garden for ever fresh and green continue;
For every year do lovely and fragrant flowers bloom therein.
The just value of the tree is known from its fruit’s sweetness-
A man’s worth is discovered by his good and virtuous acts.
Let no one, indeed, be blamed and rebuked unjustly-
The enemy of the wicked is their own wicked deeds alone.
Though they should transport one to Heaven, and bear another unto Hell,
I cannot perceive in the matter aught save their own acts.
Would to Heaven it might continue always, for thy sake!
Since thou art at odds with every one, for the sake of the world.
That son who may not inherit the virtues of his father and grandfather,
Must have been born in an unlucky and unfortunate year.
And thou, that boastest concerning the battle-field of the brave-
What valour, what fortitude, hast thou ever brought to the field?
Doth the gnat ever attain unto the high rank of the falcon,
Even though he is furnished, both with feathers and with wings?
Though all the world may agree to disparage, and speak ill of him,
Poor Khushal is Khushal
(Khoshal Khan Khattak)
More Poetry from Khoshal Khan Khattak:Khoshal Khan Khattak Poems based on Topics: World, Man, Time, Fate & Destiny, Wine, Heaven, Hell, Fathers, Nature, Vice & Virtue, Enemy
- I. (Khoshal Khan Khattak Poems)
- XXVI. (Khoshal Khan Khattak Poems)
- XXVII. (Khoshal Khan Khattak Poems)
- X. (Khoshal Khan Khattak Poems)
- XIII. (Khoshal Khan Khattak Poems)
- LXXX. (Khoshal Khan Khattak Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Man Poems, World Poems, Time Poems, Nature Poems, Heaven Poems, Fate & Destiny Poems, Fathers Poems, Courage Poems, Wine Poems, Hell Poems, Vice & Virtue Poems
Based on Keywords: respecting, disparage, parity, boastest
- Aechdeacon Barbour (John Greenleaf Whittier Poems)
- The Old Sheperd's Recollections (Matilda Betham Poems)
- The Art Of Preserving Health. Book IV (John Armstrong Poems)
- Poem For The Two Hundred And Fiftieth Anniversary Of The Founding Of Harvard College (Oliver Wendell Holmes Poems)
- Shakuntala Act V (Kalidasa Poems)