Ask not the cause why sullen spring
So long delays her flow’rs to bear;
Why warbling birds forget to sing,
And winter storms invert the year?
Chloris is gone; and Fate provides
To make it spring where she resides.
Chloris is gone, the cruel fair;
She cast not back a pitying eye:
But left her lover in despair,
To sigh, to languish, and to die:
Ah, how can those fair eyes endure
To give the wounds they will not cure!
Great god of Love, why hast thou made
A face that can all hearts command,
That all religions can invade,
And change the laws of ev’ry land?
Where thou hadst plac’d such pow’r before,
Thou shouldst have made her mercy more.
When Chloris to the temple comes,
Adoring crowds before her fall;
She can restore the dead from tombs,
And ev’ry life but mine recall.
I only am by love design’d
To be the victim for mankind.Credits and CopyrightTogether with the editors, the Department ofEnglish (University of Toronto), and the University of Toronto Press,the following individuals share copyright for the work that wentinto this edition:Screen Design (Electronic Edition): Sian Meikle (University ofToronto Library)Scanning: Sharine Leung (Centre for Computing in the Humanities)
(John Henry Dryden)
More Poetry from John Henry Dryden:John Henry Dryden Poems based on Topics: Love, Faces, Law & Regulation, Fairness, Education, Work & Career, Religions & Spirituality, Mankind
- Cymon And Iphigenia. From Boccace (John Henry Dryden Poems)
- The Hind And The Panther, A Poem In Three Parts : Part I. (John Henry Dryden Poems)
- The Wife Of Bath Her Tale (John Henry Dryden Poems)
- Eleonora : A Panegyrical (John Henry Dryden Poems)
- Britannia Rediviva: A Poem on the Birth of the Prince (John Henry Dryden Poems)
- ASTR (John Henry Dryden Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Love Poems, Faces Poems, Fairness Poems, Education Poems, Work & Career Poems, Law & Regulation Poems, Mankind Poems, Religions & Spirituality Poems
Based on Keywords: editors, credits, humanities, invert, toronto, sian, computing, electronic, pressthe, leung, oftoronto
- The British Heroes, A New Poem in honour of St. George (John Grubb Poems)
- The General Resurrection (Mary Ann Carter Poems)
- Queen Mab: Part VI. (Percy Bysshe Shelley Poems)
- The Unhappy State Of The Ungodly, After Death (Rees Prichard Poems)
- Medulla Poetarum Romanorum - VOL. II. (Panic - Passions) (Henry Baker Poems)