Philip Larkin Poems >>
Vers De Soci
My wife and I have asked a crowd of craps
To come and waste their time and ours: perhaps
You'd care to join us? In a pig's arse, friend.
Day comes to an end.
The gas fire breathes, the trees are darkly swayed.
And so Dear Warlock-Williams: I'm afraid—
Funny how hard it is to be alone.
I could spend half my evenings, if I wanted,
Holding a glass of washing sherry, canted
Over to catch the drivel of some bitch
Who's read nothing but Which;
Just think of all the spare time that has flown
Straight into nothingness by being filled
With forks and faces, rather than repaid
Under a lamp, hearing the noise of wind,
And looking out to see the moon thinned
To an air-sharpened blade.
A life, and yet how sternly it's instilled
All solitude is selfish. No one now
Believes the hermit with his gown and dish
Talking to God (who's gone too); the big wish
Is to have people nice to you, which means
Doing it back somehow.
Virtue is social. Are, then, these routines
Playing at goodness, like going to church?
Something that bores us, something we don't do well
(Asking that ass about his fool research)
But try to feel, because, however crudely,
It shows us what should be?
Too subtle, that. Too decent, too. Oh hell,
Only the young can be alone freely.
The time is shorter now for company,
And sitting by a lamp more often brings
Not peace, but other things.
Beyond the light stand failure and remorse
Whispering Dear Warlock-Williams: Why, of course—
More Poetry from Philip Larkin:
Philip Larkin Poems based on Topics: Time, Life, Light, Faces, Nature, Youth, Christianity, Friendship, Hope, Good & Evil, Selfishness
- Tr (Philip Larkin Poems)
- Night Music (Philip Larkin Poems)
- When First We Faced (Philip Larkin Poems)
- As Bad as a Mile (Philip Larkin Poems)
- Library Ode (Philip Larkin Poems)
- Like The Train's Beat (Philip Larkin Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: Life Poems, Light Poems, Time Poems, Nature Poems, War & Peace Poems, Faces Poems, Youth Poems, Friendship Poems, Christianity Poems, Hope Poems, Hell Poems
Based on Keywords: drivel, craps, crudely, instilled, course-, canted, routines, afraid-, air-sharpened, warlock-williams
- The Believer's Espousals : Chapter II. (Ralph Erskine Poems)
- Der Freischutz (Madison Julius Cawein Poems)
- Notes On Vision (James Douglas Morrison Poems)
- Paradise Regain'd : Book III. (John Milton Poems)
- Stanza's Concerning Some Persons And Things, That Are Mentioned In The Holy Scriptures (Rees Prichard Poems)