Behold me, in my chiffon, gauze, and tinsel,
Flitting out of the shadow into the spotlight,
And into the shadow again, without a whisper!-
Firefly’s my name, I am evanescent.
Firefly’s your name. You are evanescent.
But I follow you as remorselessly as darkness,
And shut you in and enclose you, at last, and always,
Till you are lost,-as a voice is lost in silence.
Till I am lost, as a voice is lost in silence. . .
Are you the one who would close so cool about me?
My fire sheds into and through you and beyond you:
How can your fingers hold me? I am elusive.
How can my fingers hold you? You are elusive?
Yes, you are flame, but I surround and love you,
Always extend beyond you, cool, eternal,
To take you into my heart’s great void of silence.
You shut me into your heart’s great void of silence. . .
O sweet and soothing end for a life of whirling!
Now I am still, whose life was mazed with motion.
Now I sink into you, for love of sleep.
More Poetry from Conrad Aiken:Conrad Aiken Poems based on Topics: Silence, Fire, Sleep, Life, Name, Eternity
- Turns And Movies: Violet Moore And Bert Moore (Conrad Aiken Poem)
- Turns And Movies: Zudora (Conrad Aiken Poem)
- The Window (Conrad Aiken Poem)
- Turns And Movies: Duval's Birds (Conrad Aiken Poems)
- Turns And Movies: Rose And Murray (Conrad Aiken Poem)
- Turns And Movies: The Cornet (Conrad Aiken Poem)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Life Poems, Name Poems, Fire Poems, Sleep Poems, Silence Poems, Eternity Poems
Based on Keywords: behold, darkness, yes, motion, close, cool, end, sink, void, follow, whisper
- Book III - Part 03 - The Soul is Mortal (Lucretius Poems)
- The Golden Legend: VI. The School Of Salerno (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Poems)
- Of The Nature Of Things: Book II - Part 03 - Atomic Forms And Their Combinations (Lucretius Poems)
- The Celt's Paradise. Third Duan (John Banim Poems)
- Of The Nature Of Things: Book V - Part 04 - Formation Of The World (Lucretius Poems)