Patrick Kavanagh Poems >>
To the Man After the Harrow
Now leave the check-reins slack,
The seed is flying far today -
The seed like stars against the black
Eternity of April clay.
This seed is potent as the seed
Of knowledge in the Hebrew Book,
So drive your horses in the creed
Of God the Father as a stook.
Forget the men on Brady's Hill.
Forget what Brady's boy may say.
For destiny will not fulfil
Unless you let the harrow play.
Forget the worm's opinion too
Of hooves and pointed harrow-pins,
For you are driving your horses through
The mist where Genesis begins.
More Poetry from Patrick Kavanagh:
Patrick Kavanagh Poems based on Topics: Man, God, Wisdom & Knowledge, Fathers, Books
- Having To Live in the Country (Patrick Kavanagh Poems)
- On An Apple-Ripe September Morning (Patrick Kavanagh Poems)
- On Raglan Road (Patrick Kavanagh Poems)
- April Dusk (Patrick Kavanagh Poems)
- March (Patrick Kavanagh Poems)
- Innocence (Patrick Kavanagh Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: Man Poems, God Poems, Wisdom & Knowledge Poems, Fathers Poems, Books Poems
Based on Keywords: brady, stook