The greatest poem ever known
Is one all poets have outgrown:
The poetry, innate, untold,
Of being only four years old.
Still young enough to be a part
Of Nature’s great impulsive heart,
Born comrade of bird, beast, and tree
And unselfconscious as the bee—
And yet with lovely reason skilled
Each day new paradise to build;
Elate explorer of each sense,
Without dismay, without pretense!
In your unstained transparent eyes
There is no conscience, no surprise:
Life’s queer conundrums you accept,
Your strange divinity still kept.
Being, that now absorbs you, all
Harmonious, unit, integral,
Will shred into perplexing bits,—
Oh, contradictions of the wits!
And Life, that sets all things in rhyme,
may make you poet, too, in time—
But there were days, O tender elf,
When you were Poetry itself!
More Poetry from Christopher Morley:Christopher Morley Poems based on Topics: Sense & Perception, Literature, Nature, Poetry, Life, Harmony, Poets, Conscience, Birds
- Scuttle, Scuttle, Little Roach (Christopher Morley Poems)
- The Music Box (Christopher Morley Poems)
- Our House (Christopher Morley Poems)
- Only a Matter of Time (Christopher Morley Poems)
- Animal Crackers (Christopher Morley Poems)
- Hymn to the Dairymaids on Beacon Street (Christopher Morley Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Life Poems, Nature Poems, Sense & Perception Poems, Birds Poems, Literature Poems, Poets Poems, Poetry Poems, Harmony Poems, Conscience Poems
Based on Keywords: impulsive, absorbs, unstained, time-, unit, perplexing, contradictions, explorer, integral, conundrums, bee-
- Protestant Popery: Or, The Convocation - Canto IV (Nicholas Amhurst Poems)
- The Protestant Session (Nicholas Amhurst Poems)
- How I Consulted The Oracle Of The Goldfishes (James Russell Lowell Poems)
- The Vision Of Piers Plowman - Part 04 (William Langland Poems)
- Cen'lin, Prince Of Mercia (Matilda Betham Poems)