Howard Phillips Lovecraft Poems >>
It was golden and splendid,
That City of light;
A vision suspended
In deeps of the night;
A region of wonder and glory, whose temples were marble and white.
I remember the season
It dawn'd on my gaze;
The mad time of unreason,
The brain-numbing days
When Winter, white-sheeted and ghastly, stalks onward to torture and craze.
More lovely than Zion
It shone in the sky
When the beams of Orion
Beclouded my eye,
Bringing sleep that was filled with dim mem'ries of moments obscure and gone by.
Its mansions were stately,
With carvings made fair,
Each rising sedately
On terraces rare,
And the gardens were fragrant and bright with strange miracles blossoming there.
The avenues lur'd me
With vistas sublime;
Tall arches assur'd me
That once on a time
I had wander'd in rapture beneath them, and bask'd in the Halcyon clime.
On the plazas were standing
A sculptur'd array;
Long bearded, commanding,
rave men in their day—
But one stood dismantled and broken, its bearded face battered away.
In that city effulgent
No mortal I saw,
But my fancy, indulgent
To memory's law,
Linger'd long on the forms in the plazas, and eyed their stone features with
I fann'd the faint ember
That glow'd in my mind,
And strove to remember
The aeons behind;
To rove thro' infinity freely, and visit the past unconfin'd.
Then the horrible warning
Upon my soul sped
Like the ominous morning
That rises in red,
And in panic I flew from the knowledge of terrors forgotten and dead.
More Poetry from Howard Phillips Lovecraft:
Howard Phillips Lovecraft Poems based on Topics: Night, Light, Mind, Past, Time, Fairness, Madness, Imagination & Visualization, Law & Regulation, Curiosity, Wisdom & Knowledge
- Fungi From Yuggoth (Howard Phillips Lovecraft Poems)
- The Poe-et's Nightmare (Howard Phillips Lovecraft Poems)
- Nathicana (Howard Phillips Lovecraft Poems)
- Nemesis (Howard Phillips Lovecraft Poems)
- The House (Howard Phillips Lovecraft Poems)
- Astrophobos (Howard Phillips Lovecraft Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: Night Poems, Light Poems, Mind Poems, Time Poems, Fairness Poems, Success Poems, Past Poems, Wisdom & Knowledge Poems, Law & Regulation Poems, Winter Poems, Madness Poems
Based on Keywords: unreason, carvings, beclouded, plazas, white-sheeted
- The Wild Knight (Gilbert Keith Chesterton Poems)
- Mogg Megone - Part I. (John Greenleaf Whittier Poems)
- Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. In Three Cantos. - Canto I. (Matthew Prior Poems)
- Palestine; A Prize Poem, Recited In The Theatre, Oxford (Reginald Heber Poems)
- The Island: Canto IV. (Lord George Gordon Byron Poems)