Now the truce of night brings respite to the sordid care of day,
And in listlessness I pace the river side,
Where the solitude is wounded by no lighted window’s ray;
But illicit fancy will not be denied
For the darkening flat reiterates a freer life’s farewell,
In the long familiar knocking of a bullfrog bell.
And in reverie I see the loaded waggons slowly creep,
Far across the western plains of New South Wales;
With “talking” wheels and platforms, with wool-ropes biting deep,
And the dust of two broad countries on the vales.
Till the stars take shape in patterns, and through their dreamy spell
Comes the low, incessant knocking of the bullfrog bell.
And the retrospection lingers, bringing spiritless regret,
Though the northward track is open to me still
I may count the morning muster – I may track the stragglers yet
I may spell or battle onward, as I will
I may wake at night to listen, and know that all is well
By the reassuring answer of the bullfrog bell.
But that virile life repeated would be wearisome and trite,
Since the glamour of adventure cannot last
When the future, with its freshness, its pulsing, roseate light,
Has congealed into a leaden-coloured Past.
So an unreturning era owns its sympathetic knell
In the melancholy knocking of that bull-frog bell.
More Poetry from Joseph Furphy:Joseph Furphy Poems based on Topics: Light, Morning, Night, Future, Past, Adventure, Solitude, Listening
- The Death Of President Lincoln (Joseph Furphy Poems)
- Brahm (Joseph Furphy Poems)
- The Schoolhouse On The Plain (Joseph Furphy Poems)
- A Psalm Of Councel (Joseph Furphy Poems)
- A Psalm Of Resignation (Joseph Furphy Poems)
- The Gumsucker's Dirge (Joseph Furphy Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Night Poems, Light Poems, Past Poems, Morning Poems, Future Poems, Listening Poems, Solitude Poems, Adventure Poems
Based on Keywords: spiritless, stragglers, platforms, reassuring, listlessness, bull-frog, illicit, reiterates, leaden-coloured
- School of my heart, tomorrow i will be separated from you! (Che Lan Vien Poems)
- H. S. Mauberley (Life And Contacts) [Part I] (Ezra Pound Poems)
- The Finding Of The Book (Archbishop William Alexander Poems)
- Rosara's Chain. The Mystic Cave. (Alicia LeFanu Poems)
- Rosara's Chain. Conclusion (Alicia LeFanu Poems)