Out from the injured canvas, Kneller, strike
These lines too faint; the picture is not like.
Exalt thy thought, and try thy toil again:
Dreadful in arms, on Landen’s glorious plain
Place Ormond’s Duke: impendent in the air
Let his keen sabre, comet-like, appear,
Where’er it points denouncing death: below
Draw routed squadrons, and the numerous foe
Falling beneath, or flying from his blow;
Till weak with wounds, and cover’d o’er with blood,
Which from the patriot’s breast in torrents flow’d,
He faints: he steed no longer hears the rein,
But stumbles o’er the heap his hand had slain.
And now exhausted, bleeding, pale he lies,
Lovely, sad object! in his half-closed eyes
Stern Vengeance yet and hostile Terror stand:
His front yet threatens, and his frowns command.
The Gallic chiefs their troops around him call,
Fear to approach him, though they see him fall.
O Kneller! could thy shades and lights express
The perfect hero in that glorious dress,
Ages to come might Ormond’s picture know,
And palms for thee beneath his laurels grow;
In spite of time thy work might ever thine,
Nor Homer’s colours last so long as thine.
More Poetry from Matthew Prior:Matthew Prior Poems based on Topics: Mind, Fear, Sadness, Death & Dying, Lies & Deceit, Thought & Thinking, Time, Perfection
- Carmen Seculare. For the Year 1700. To The King (Matthew Prior Poems)
- Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. In Three Cantos. - Canto III. (Matthew Prior Poems)
- Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. In Three Cantos. - Canto II. (Matthew Prior Poems)
- Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. In Three Cantos. - Canto I. (Matthew Prior Poems)
- The Turtle And Sparrow. An Elegiac Tale (Matthew Prior Poems)
- An Ode - Humbly Inscribed To The Queen, On the Glorious Success of Her Majesty's Arms (Matthew Prior Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Mind Poems, Sadness Poems, Time Poems, Death & Dying Poems, Thought & Thinking Poems, Fear Poems, Lies & Deceit Poems, Perfection Poems
Based on Keywords: denouncing, ormond, kneller, landen, impendent, comet-like