O Thou whose beams the sea-gift earth array,
King of the sky, and father of the day!
O sun! what fountain hid from human eyes,
Supplies thy circle round the radiant skies,
For ever burning and for ever bright,
With heaven’s pure fire, and everlasting light?
What awful beauty in thy face appears!
Immortal youth, beyond the power of years!
When gloomy darkness to thy reign resigns,
And from the gate of morn thy glory shines,
The conscious stars are put to sudden flight,
And all the planets hide their heads in night:
The queen of heaven forsakes th’ ethereal plain,
To sink inglorious in the western main.
The clouds refulgent deck thy golden throne,
High in the heavens, immortal and alone!
Who can abide the brightness of thy face!
Or who attend thee in thy rapid race!
The mountain oaks, like their own leaves decay;
Themselves the mountains wear with age away;
The boundless main that rolls from land to land,
Lessens at times, and leaves a waste of sand:
The silver moon, refulgent lamp of night,
Is lost in heaven, and emptied of her light;
But thou for ever shalt endure the same,
Thy light eternal, and unspent thy flame.
When tempests with their train impend on high,
Darken the day, and load the labouring sky;
When heaven’s wide convex glows with lightnings dire,
All ether flaming, and all earth on fire:
When loud and long the deep-mouth’d thunder rolls,
And peals on peals redoubled rend the poles;
It from the opening clouds thy form appears,
Her wonted charm the force of nature wears;
Thy beauteous orb restores departed day,
Looks from the sky, and laughs the storm away.
More Poetry from John Logan:John Logan Poems based on Topics: Heaven, Kings & Queens, Light, Nature, Youth, Night, Power, Fire, Faces, Astronomy & Cosmology, Eternity
- A Tale (John Logan Poems)
- The Lovers. A Poem (John Logan Poems)
- Monimia. An Ode (John Logan Poems)
- Ode to Women (John Logan Poems)
- Ode, Written in a Visit to the Country in Autumn (John Logan Poems)
- Ode Written in Spring (John Logan Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Night Poems, Light Poems, Nature Poems, Faces Poems, Youth Poems, Heaven Poems, Kings & Queens Poems, Fire Poems, Power Poems, Eternity Poems, Silver Poems
Based on Keywords: lessens, impend, deep-mouth
- The Vision Of Piers Plowman - Part 14 (William Langland Poems)
- Trivia ; or, the Art of Walking the Streets of London : Book III (John Gay Poems)
- Hermann And Dorothea - IX. Urania (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Poems)
- Christ's Triumph after Death : Canto IV. Christ's Victory and Triumph (Giles Fletcher Jr Poems)
- Childhood (Henry Kirke White Poems)