The youth whose fortune the vast globe obey’d,
Finding his royal enemy betray’d
And in his chariot by vile hands opprest,
With noble pity and just rage posses’t,
Wept at the fall of so sublime a state
And with the traitor’s death reveng’d the fate
Of monarchy profane; so acted too
The generous Caesar when the Roman knew
A coward king had treacherously slain
One he scarce foil’d on the Pharsalian plain.
The doom of his fam’d rival he bemoan’d
And the base author of the crime dethron’d.
So virtuous was the actions of the great,
Far from the guilty acts of desperate hate:
They knew no foe, but in the open field,
And to their cause and to their gods appeal’d.
So William acts, and if his rivals dare
Dispute his right by arms, he’ll meet them there
Where Jove, as once on Ida, holds the scale
And lets the good, the just, the brave prevail.
(Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville)
More Poetry from Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville:Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems based on Topics: Courage, Charity, Crime, Actions, Hospitality, Fate & Destiny, Hatred, Cowardice, Monarchy
- To an Antiquated Coquette (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- Song Written At Sea, In The First Dutch War (1665), The Night Before An Engagement (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- A True Account of the Birth and Conception of a Late Famous Poem call'd The Female Nine (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- To Mr. Edward Howard on His New Utopia (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- Four Poems on the Countess of Dorchester (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
- Satire On A Conceited Playwright (Earl of Dorset Charles Sackville Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Fate & Destiny Poems, Charity Poems, Courage Poems, Hatred Poems, Crime Poems, Hospitality Poems, Actions Poems, Monarchy Poems, Cowardice Poems
Based on Keywords: bemoan, treacherously, posses, reveng, dethron, pharsalian