Death in a rage assaulted once my heart
With love of her, my love that doth deny.
I scorned his force, and wished him to depart,
I heartless was, and therefore could not die.
I live in her, in her I placed my life,
She guides my soul, and her I honour must.
Nor is this life but yet a living strife,
A thing unmeet, and yet a thing most just.
Cupid enraged did fly to make me love,
My heart lay guarded with those burning eyes
The sparks whereof denied him to remove;
So conquered now, he like a captive lies;
Thus two at once by love were both undone,
My heart not loved, and armless Venus’ son.
(Giles Fletcher Sr)
More Poetry from Giles Fletcher Sr:Giles Fletcher Sr Poems based on Topics: Love, Life, Soul, Lies & Deceit, Sons, Death & Dying, Anger
- Licia Sonnets 01 (Giles Fletcher Sr Poems)
- Licia Sonnets 25 (Giles Fletcher Sr Poems)
- To Love (Giles Fletcher Sr Poems)
- Licia Sonnets 18 (Giles Fletcher Sr Poems)
- Licia Sonnets 38 (Giles Fletcher Sr Poems)
- Licia Sonnets 29 (Giles Fletcher Sr Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Love Poems, Life Poems, Death & Dying Poems, Soul Poems, Sons Poems, Anger Poems, Lies & Deceit Poems
Based on Keywords: assaulted, armless