I never loved you more, ma soeur
Than as I walked away from you that evening.
The forest swallowed me, the blue forest, ma soeur
The blue forest and above it pale stars in the west.
I did not laugh, not one little bit, ma soeur
As I playfully walked towards a dark fate –
While the faces behind me
Slowly paled in the evening of the blue forest.
Everything was grand that one night, ma soeur
Never thereafter and never before –
I admit it: I was left with nothing but the big birds
And their hungry cries in the dark evening sky.
More Poetry from Bertolt Brecht:Bertolt Brecht Poems based on Topics: Faces, Night, Laughter
- Der Pflaumenbaum (The Plum Tree, translation) (Bertolt Brecht Poems)
- Fragen (Bertolt Brecht Poems)
- Pleasures (Translation with the original German, (Bertolt Brecht Poems)
- I'm not saying anything against Alexander (Bertolt Brecht Poems)
- Future Generations (Translation of (Bertolt Brecht Poems)
- I Want To Go With The One I Love (Bertolt Brecht Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Night Poems, Faces Poems, Laughter Poems
Based on Keywords: playfully, soeur