My name used to be in the papers daily
As having dined somewhere,
Or traveled somewhere,
Or rented a house in Paris,
Where I entertained the nobility.
I was forever eating or traveling,
Or taking the cure at Baden-Baden.
Now I am here to do honor
To Spoon River, here beside the family whence I sprang.
No one cares now where I dined,
Or lived, or whom I entertained,
Or how often I took the cure at Baden-Baden!
(Edgar Lee Masters)
More Poetry from Edgar Lee Masters:Edgar Lee Masters Poems based on Topics: Family, Nobility
- Epilogue (Edgar Lee Masters Poems)
- The Spooniad (Edgar Lee Masters Poems)
- Samson And Delilah (Edgar Lee Masters Poems)
- The Temple (Edgar Lee Masters Poems)
- Silence (Edgar Lee Masters Poems)
- America (Edgar Lee Masters Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Family Poems, Nobility Poems
Based on Keywords: entertained, rented, dined