Tim Finnegan lived in Walkin’ Street,
A gentleman Irish mighty odd;
He had a brogue both rich and sweet,
And to rise in the world he carried a hod.
Now Tim had a sort of a tipplin’ way,
With a love of the whiskey he was born,
And to help him on with his work each day,
He’d a drop of the craythur every morn.
Whack fol the dah O, dance to your partner,
Welt the floor, your trotters shake;
Wasn’t it the truth I told you,
Lots of fun at Finnegan’s wake!
One mornin’ Tim was feelin’ full,
His head was heavy which made him shake;
He fell from the ladder and broke his skull,
And they carried him home his corpse to wake.
They rolled him up in a nice clean sheet,
And laid him out upon the bed,
A gallon of whiskey at his feet,
And a barrel of porter at his head.
His friends assembled at the wake,
And Mrs. Finnegan called for lunch,
First they brought in tay and cake,
Then pipes, tobacco and whiskey punch.
Biddy O’Brien began to bawl,
“Such a nice clean corpse, did you ever see?
“O Tim, mavourneen, why did you die?”
“Arragh, hold your gob,” said Paddy McGhee!
Then Maggie O’Connor took up the job,
“O Biddy,” says she, “You’re wrong, I’m sure”,
Biddy she gave her a belt in the gob,
And left her sprawlin’ on the floor.
And then the war did soon engage,
‘Twas woman to woman and man to man,
Shillelagh law was all the rage,
And a row and a ruction soon began.
Then Mickey Maloney ducked his head,
When a noggin of whiskey flew at him,
It missed, and falling on the bed,
The liquor scattered over Tim!
The corpse revives! See how he raises!
Timothy rising from the bed,
Says,”Whirl your whiskey around like blazes,
Thanum an Dhoul! Do you think I’m dead?”
More Poetry from Anonymous Irish:Anonymous Irish Poems based on Topics: Love, Man, War & Peace, World, Truth, Law & Regulation, Dancing, Anger
- The Lay of Prince Marvan (Anonymous Irish Poems)
- A Curse (Anonymous Irish Poems)
- Allalu Mo Wauleen (Hail my Little Bag) (Anonymous Irish Poems)
- The Lorica of St Patrick (Anonymous Irish Poems)
- Donal Og (Anonymous Irish Poems)
- The Harp of Cnoc I'Chosgair (Anonymous Irish Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Love Poems, Man Poems, World Poems, War & Peace Poems, Truth Poems, Anger Poems, Law & Regulation Poems, Dancing Poems
Based on Keywords: gallon, hod, paddy, welt, dah, ducked, brien, brogue, fol, connor, biddy
- The Wild Knight (Gilbert Keith Chesterton Poems)
- Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. In Three Cantos. - Canto II. (Matthew Prior Poems)
- Hermann And Dorothea - VI. Klio (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Poems)
- The Traveller; or, A Prospect of Society (Oliver Goldsmith Poems)
- A Story Of Plantagenet (Nora Pembroke Poems)