Her properties, like her of course & frisky & new:
a stale cake sold to kids, a 7-foot weed
inside in the Great Neck night,
a record (‘great’), her work all over as u-
sual rejected. She odd in a bakery.
The owner stand beside her
and she have to sell to the brother & sister jumping
without say ‘One week old.’ Her indifference
to the fate of her manuscripts
(which flash) to a old hand is truly somefing.
I guess: she’ll take the National Book Award
presently, with like flare & indifference.
A massive, unpremeditated, instantaneous
transfer of solicitude from the thing to the creature
Henry sometimes felt.
A state of chancy mind when facts stick out
frequent was his, while that this shrugging girl,
keen, do not quit, he knelt.
(Having so swiftly, and been by, let down.)
More Poetry from John Berryman:John Berryman Poems based on Topics: Night, Fate & Destiny, Brothers, Property, Rejection
- The Ball Poem (John Berryman Poems)
- Dream Song 73: Karensui, Ryoan-ji (John Berryman Poems)
- Dream Song 96: Under the table, no. That last was stunning (John Berryman Poems)
- Dream Song 77: Seedy Henry rose up shy (John Berryman Poems)
- Dream Song 113: or Amy Vladeck or Riva Freifeld (John Berryman Poems)
- Dream Song 110: It was the blue & plain ones. I forget all that (John Berryman Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Night Poems, Fate & Destiny Poems, Brothers Poems, Rejection Poems, Property Poems
Based on Keywords: instantaneous, transfer, solicitude, bakery, unpremeditated, shrugging, chancy, somefing, sual