I bring ye wine from above,
From the vats of the storied sun;
For every one of yer love,
And life for every one.
Ye shall dance on hill and level;
Ye shall sing in hollow and height
In the festal mystical revel,
The rapurous Bacchanal rite!
The rocks and trees are yours,
And the waters under the hill,
By the might of that which endures,
The holy heaven of will!
I kindle a flame like a torrent
To rush from star to star;
Your hair as a comet’s horrent,
Ye shall see things as they are!
I lift the mask of matter;
I open the heart of man;
For I am of force to shatter
The cast that hideth -Pan!
Your loves shall lap up slaughter,
And dabbled with roses of blood
Each desperate darling daughter
Shall swim in the fervid flood.
I bring ye laughter and tears,
The kisses that foam and bleed,
The joys of a million years,
The flowers that bear no seed.
My life is bitter and sterile,
Its flame is a wandering star.
Ye shall pass in pleasure and peril
Across the mystic bar
That is set for wrath and weeping
Against the children of earth;
But ye in singing and sleeping
Shall pass in measure and mirth!
I lift my wand and wave you
Through hill to hill of delight :
My rosy rivers lave you
In innermost lustral light..
I lead you, lord of the maze,
In the darkness free of the sun;
In spite of the spite that is day’s
We are wed, we are wild, we are one.
(Mary Elizabeth Coleridge)
More Poetry from Mary Elizabeth Coleridge:Mary Elizabeth Coleridge Poems based on Topics: Love, Man, Light, Life, Joy & Excitement, Nature, Flowers, Kiss, Sleep, Children, Pleasure
- Chillingham (Mary Elizabeth Coleridge Poems)
- He came unto His own, and His own received Him not (Mary Elizabeth Coleridge Poems)
- The Other Side Of A Mirror (Mary Elizabeth Coleridge Poems)
- Our Lady (Mary Elizabeth Coleridge Poems)
- The Witch (Mary Elizabeth Coleridge Poems)
- Death and the Lady (Mary Elizabeth Coleridge Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:Based on Topics: Love Poems, Man Poems, Life Poems, Light Poems, Nature Poems, Joy & Excitement Poems, Flowers Poems, Sleep Poems, Children Poems, Pleasure Poems, Kiss Poems
Based on Keywords: rivers, pan, wand, swim, rosy, seed, wine, wed, level, bar, measure
- The Helot (Isabella Valancy Crawford Poems)
- The Believer's Soliloquy; Especially in Times of Desertion, Temptation, Affliction (Ralph Erskine Poems)
- The School-Boy (Oliver Wendell Holmes Poems)
- The School Of The Heart. Lesson The First (Henry Alford Poems)
- The Three Gossips' Wager (Jean de La Fontaine Poems)