Stephen Crane Poems >>
Some little blades of grass
Stood before God.
"What did you do?"
Then all save one of the little blades
Began eagerly to relate
The merits of their lives.
This one stayed a small way behind,
Presently, God said,
"And what did you do?"
The little blade answered, "Oh my Lord,
Memory is bitter to me,
For, if I did good deeds,
I know not of them."
Then God, in all His splendor,
Arose from His throne.
"Oh, best little blade of grass!" He said.
More Poetry from Stephen Crane:
Stephen Crane Poems based on Topics: God, Heaven, Memory
- It was wrong t do this, said the angel (Stephen Crane Poems)
- A man saw a ball of gold in the sky; (Stephen Crane Poems)
- 'Scaped (Stephen Crane Poems)
- Black Riders Came From the Sea (Stephen Crane Poems)
- A man feared that he might find an assassin; (Stephen Crane Poems)
- There was a great cathedral (Stephen Crane Poem)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: God Poems, Heaven Poems, Memory Poems
Based on Keywords: deeds, arose, blade, stayed, answered, ashamed, presently, relate, eagerly, blades, splendor