Author Unknown Poems >>
Handwriting on the Wall
A weary mother returned from the store,
Lugging groceries through the kitchen door.
Awaiting her arrival was her 8 year old son,
Anxious to relate what his younger brother had done.
While I was out playing and Dad was on a call,
T.J. took his crayons and wrote on the wall
It's on the new paper you just hung in the den.
I told him you'd be mad at having to do it again.
She let out a moan and furrowed her brow,
Where is your little brother right now?
She emptied her arms and with a purposeful stride,
She marched to his closet where he had gone to hide.
She called his full name as she entered his room.
He trembled with fear--he knew that meant doom
For the next ten minutes, she ranted and raved
About the expensive wallpaper and how she had saved.
Lamenting all the work it would take to repair,
She condemned his actions and total lack of care.
The more she scolded, the madder she got,
Then stomped from his room, totally distraught.
She headed for the den to confirm her fears.
When she saw the wall, her eyes flooded with tears.
The message she read pierced her soul with a dart.
It said, I love Mommy, surrounded by a heart.
Well, the wallpaper remained, just as she found it,
With an empty picture frame hung to surround it.
A reminder to her, and indeed to all,
Take time to read the handwriting on the wall.
More Poetry from Author Unknown:
Author Unknown Poems based on Topics: Work & Career, Fear, Sons, Fathers, Madness
- Canto a Puerto Rico (Song to Puerto Rico) (Jose Gautier Benitez Poems)
- Unspoken Language (Lydia Howard Huntley Sigourney Poems)
- Om Tyre Danebod (Laurids Kok Poems)
- Fidelia (Juan Clemente Zenea y Fornaris Poems)
- La Venue Du Printemps (Honorat de Beuil Seigneur de Racan Poems)
- A Las Virgenes (Ramon Lopez Velarde Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: Fear Poems, Sons Poems, Fathers Poems, Work & Career Poems, Madness Poems
Based on Keywords: madder, raved, scolded, wallpaper, groceries, handwriting, mommy, ranted, lugging, stomped, crayons
- The Wild Knight (Gilbert Keith Chesterton Poems)
- Mogg Megone - Part I. (John Greenleaf Whittier Poems)
- Alma; or, The Progress of the Mind. In Three Cantos. - Canto I. (Matthew Prior Poems)
- Palestine; A Prize Poem, Recited In The Theatre, Oxford (Reginald Heber Poems)
- The Island: Canto IV. (Lord George Gordon Byron Poems)