At evening, sitting on this terrace,
When the sun from the west, beyond Pisa, beyond the mountains of Carrara
Departs, and the world is taken by surprise ...
When the tired flower of Florence is in gloom beneath the glowing
Brown hills surrounding ...
When under the arches of the Ponte Vecchio
A green light enters against stream, flush from the west,
Against the current of obscure Arno ...
Look up, and you see things flying
Between the day and the night;
Swallows with spools of dark thread sewing the shadows together.
A circle swoop, and a quick parabola under the bridge arches
Where light pushes through;
A sudden turning upon itself of a thing in the air.
A dip to the water.
And you think:
"The swallows are flying so late!"
Dark air-life looping
Yet missing the pure loop ...
A twitch, a twitter, an elastic shudder in flight
And serrated wings against the sky,
Like a glove, a black glove thrown up at the light,
And falling back.
The swallows are gone.
At a wavering instant the swallows gave way to bats
By the Ponte Vecchio ...
Bats, and an uneasy creeping in one's scalp
As the bats swoop overhead!
Black piper on an infinitesimal pipe.
Little lumps that fly in air and have voices indefinite, wildly vindictive;
Wings like bits of umbrella.
Creatures that hang themselves up like an old rag, to sleep;
And disgustingly upside down.
Hanging upside down like rows of disgusting old rags
And grinning in their sleep.
Not for me!
More Poetry from David Herbert Lawrence:
David Herbert Lawrence Poems based on Topics: Night, Light, Sadness, Sleep, Water, World, Flying
- Bei Hennef (David Herbert Lawrence Poems)
- Drunk (David Herbert Lawrence Poem)
- The Song of a Man Who has Come Through (David Herbert Lawrence Poem)
- If You are a Man (David Herbert Lawrence Poem)
- Patience (David Herbert Lawrence Poem)
- Nothing To Save (David Herbert Lawrence Poem)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: World Poems, Night Poems, Light Poems, Sadness Poems, Sleep Poems, Water Poems, Flying Poems
Based on Keywords: surrounding, arches, rag, uneasy, florence, twitch, terrace, loop, umbrella, lumps, piper
- One Day And Another: A Lyrical Eclogue - Part V (Madison Julius Cawein Poems)
- An Old Tale Re-Told (Madison Julius Cawein Poems)
- An Oriental Apologue (James Russell Lowell Poems)
- The Song Of Hiawatha XII: The Son Of The Evening Star (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Poems)
- The Song Of Hiawatha XVII: The Hunting Of Pau-Puk Keewis (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Poems)