Edgar Albert Guest Poems >>
Back To School
It ain' the ringing of the bell
which calls me back to skule once more;
it ain't that i must lurn to spell
that makes my hart so orful soar:
it ain't that fracktions i must lurn
nor jografy that makes me blew,
it "s just becoz today i yurn
to do the things i didn't doo.
ring out, wild bell! ime on mi way
to skule again, and summer's done -
it dussent seem more than a day
since i began to have mi fun.
i wouldn't mind this cuming back,
it ain't the skule ime kicking on,
it's just becoz i missed a stack
of fun, and now the summer's gone.
i planned to bild a coogie in
our yard, where all the kids could meat;
the roof was going to be of tin,
and we 'd have carpet for our feet;
and i was going to organize
a brave and daring pirut crew
and we 'd take rich men bi surprize -
but gee! how fast the summer's flue.
and that's the skule bell ringing now,
vacashun's slipped away from me;
what i acomplisshed anyhow
is something more than i can see;
i've had some fun, of course, but then,
it really seams to beet the dutch
how very little i did when
i planned to do so very much.
Ah, little boy, you do not know
The lesson that you teach us all;
You with unwilling feet now go
To school at the approach of Fall.
We grown-ups soon will hear a bell,
Announcing that our course is run,
Far more than death we fear to tell
The good deeds that we might have done.
More Poetry from Edgar Albert Guest:
Edgar Albert Guest Poems based on Topics: Courage, Running, Summer
- Baby's Got A Tooth (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- The Change-Worker (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- Runner McGee: (Who Had "Return if Possible" Orders) (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- The Lay For The Troubled Golfer (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- When Father Played Baseball (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
- If Only I Were Santa Claus (Edgar Albert Guest Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: Summer Poems, Courage Poems, Running Poems
Based on Keywords: surprize, beet, flue, grown-ups, becoz, orful, ime, organize, bild, pirut, cuming
- The Golden Legend: V. A Covered Bridge At Lucerne (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Poems)
- The Child Jesus (James Collinson Poems)
- Vision Of Columbus - Book 9 (Joel Barlow Poems)
- Vision Of Columbus - Book 6 (Joel Barlow Poems)
- Stanza's Concerning Some Persons And Things, That Are Mentioned In The Holy Scriptures (Rees Prichard Poems)