Ella Wheeler Wilcox Poems >>
A Fatal Impress
A little leaf just in the forest's edge,
All summer long, had listened to the wooing
Of amorous brids that flew across the hedge,
Singing their blithe sweet songs for her undoing.
So many were the flattering things they told her,
The parent tree seemed quite too small to hold her.
At last one lonesome day she saw them fly
Across the fields behind the coquette summer,
They passed her with a laughing light good-bye,
When from the north, there strode a strange new comer;
Bold was his mien, as he gazed on her, crying,
'How comes it, then, that thou art left here sighing! '
'Now by my faith though art a lovely leaf-
May I not kiss that cheek so fair and tender? '
Her slighted heart welled full of bitter grief,
The rudeness of his words did not offend her,
She felt so sad, so desolate, so deserted,
Oh, if her lonely fate might be averted.
'One little kiss, ' he sighed, 'I ask no more-'
His face was cold, his lips too pale for passion.
She smiled assent; and then bold Frost leaned lower,
And clasped her close, and kissed in lover's fashion.
Her smooth cheek flushed to sudden guilty splendour,
Another kiss, and then sweet surrender.
Just for a day she was a beauteous sight,
The world looked on to pity and admire
This modest little leaf, that in a night
Had seemed to set the forest all on fire.
And then - this victim of a broken trust,
A withered thing, was trodden in the dust.
More Poetry from Ella Wheeler Wilcox:
Ella Wheeler Wilcox Poems based on Topics: Love, World, Sadness, Faces, Night, Sense & Perception, Cry, Summer, Fire, Grief, Passion
- A Baby In The House (Ella Wheeler Wilcox Poems)
- It Might Have Been (Ella Wheeler Wilcox Poems)
- A Fallen Leaf (Ella Wheeler Wilcox Poems)
- Custer: Book Second (Ella Wheeler Wilcox Poems)
- Custer: Book Third (Ella Wheeler Wilcox Poems)
- Song Of America (Ella Wheeler Wilcox Poems)
Readers Who Like This Poem Also Like:
Based on Topics: Love Poems, World Poems, Night Poems, Sadness Poems, Faces Poems, Sense & Perception Poems, Cry Poems, Fire Poems, Summer Poems, Grief Poems, Kiss Poems
Based on Keywords: brids
- The Helot (Isabella Valancy Crawford Poems)
- The Believer's Soliloquy; Especially in Times of Desertion, Temptation, Affliction (Ralph Erskine Poems)
- The School-Boy (Oliver Wendell Holmes Poems)
- The School Of The Heart. Lesson The First (Henry Alford Poems)
- The Three Gossips' Wager (Jean de La Fontaine Poems)